Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Inspiration Mondays-Cob houses

My goal these days is to build my own floathome with little or no money. I have been collecting all kinds of stuff from the free section of craigslist and storing it in a 40 foot shipping container. In the meantime I keep searching for ideas and inspiration on how I want to design it and decorate. On Mondays I will be sharing with you some of things that have caught my fancy.

In reality, I should probably have half a dozen homes as I am interested in many different styles, from antiques, shabby chic, asian, morrocan decors and adobe, cob, wood frame or stone construction. I imagine my finished house will be quite an ecclectic mix of all of the above by the time I am finished.


The first time I saw this video, I died and went to heaven. This man created a house that far surpassed all my dreams. The house is built of cob or cobb which is a building material consisting of clay, sand, straw, water, and earth, similar to adobe. Cob is fireproof, resistant to seismic activity, and inexpensive. It can be used to create artistic, sculptural forms and has been revived in recent years by the natural building and sustainability movements.



Unfortunately, cob is quite heavy to build with and would not be suitable for a floathome due to the weight factor, but I still like to look and drool over these pictures.



Some Other Cob Images




















Be Inspired


1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment,I love to hear what you think of my post.