Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

What if.....

What if you had to cut down every tree you need to build your house...
Would you build a 3000 SQ FT house plus a bonus and great room?

What if you had to carry all the water you needed in buckets...
Would you take a 30 minute shower?

What if you had to grow all your own food, every single morsel....
Would you throw any of it out?

What if you had to dig for every single drop of oil then refine it....
Would you drive 100 feet to the store 10 times a day?

What if you had to sew everything you wore....
Would you still need all the clothes you have?

What if an animal had to give up it's life...
And what if you had to kill that animal....

Would you still need 20 pairs of shoes and handbags to match?
Would you only eat the choice cuts of meat?

What if we all consumed as if we had to procure and manufacture everything we need ourselves?
Would you consume, use and throw out less?

I don't want to go back in time. I believe in progress but....not at the expense of my fellow humans, future humans and the planet.

Every time you get in your car or buy something or throw something out think about it. Can you do without it? Can you recycle it? Can you make it yourself?
 
*This was a post by Margaret at the blog Thistle Garden. It rang so true for me, I wanted to have these words on my blog to remind me each time I consume something to think about the sacrifices made on my behalf and the footprint I will be leaving behind.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent post... I will be sharing this with my kids and friends. Thank you for sharing! Theresa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment,I love to hear what you think of my post.